Crispy Gluten Free Tacos
Taco Tuesday’s have been a staple dinner at the Curry house for 3 decades! These Crispy Gluten Free Tacos have evolved since we were first diagnosed almost 12 years ago. Our only choice back then were corn tortillas. Today there is a new generation of gluten free taco shells and tortilla’s at the super markets! We are grateful for the many new choices: non-gmo corn tortillas, spinach and brown rice, almond, coconut, cassava chia grain free tortillas all found on the shelves of your local grocer or on-line. What we love is the transformation to better tasting and better for you tortillas!
This Gluten Free Crispy Taco recipe is a family favorite! There are so many ways to create other meals from this quick to prepare flavorful taco meat. The taco meat also works great in: quesadillas, Mexican burrito bowl, taco salads, taco pie, topped over nachos and more! AND for all our Vegan friends, you can use this meat alternative that works great with our recipe! If you’re up for making a versatile, great tasting, easy homemade tortilla recipe from scratch, try our chickpea crepes that work well for tacos, or Jovial’s traditional homemade tortilla recipe! Lots of choices~ even for our dairy free and Paleo friends.
Tortilla’s are not just for tacos. Tortillas are great for lunch wraps with fresh vegetables or meats. Tortillas also make pizza crusts! Lots of creative ways to use your tortillas! If you have a fun way you use them, and we haven’t mentioned it, please share with us in the comments below.
We hear from many of you that when you cook your gluten free tortillas they break…And we know that IS frustrating. So Megs and I decided to show you how to warm your tortillas in our latest video. We demonstrate how to make the perfect gluten free tortilla so they won’t break! Check it out below and keep scrolling down for the full Gluten Free Crispy Taco recipe and all the variations just for your tastebuds and dietary preference.
Crispy Gluten Free Taco Ingredients
1¼ lb. Ground chicken, turkey, beef or Beyond Meat crumbles (we prefer dark chicken meat, so moist and flavorful!)
½ – ¾ C. Organic Ketchup
2 tsp. Curry Girl’s Six Seasonings (blend of Mexican Oregano, garlic, cilantro, saffron, and salt)
½-1 tsp. Garlic powder
½-1 tsp. Ground Chili pepper or pepper flakes (optional)
2 TBL Coconut Oil or olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste, but taste first!
1/4 water if needed to thin. (optional)
Shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes or salsa, guacamole.
Method for Making Gluten Free Crispy Tacos
- Heat pan on medium heat. Add oil.
- Cook ground chicken or warm meat alternative. Use a fork to crumble the meat as it browns. The coconut oil gives the meat a deliciously sweet taste.
- Add the seasonings. Then add the ketchup.
- Simmer for 10- 15 min. on low heat. Make sure it stays nice & moist. Add 1/4 C water to thin or more ketchup to taste.
- Ready made taco shells: Warm your taco meat in the ready made shells for 3-5 minutes in a pre-heated 350 degree oven.
- Lightly warm soft tortillas in a pan, on a griddle or in the oven.
- Fill the soft taco with taco meat or vegetables.
- To make crispy: heat your pan and add 1 Tbsp. of oil. place the filled taco ( meat and cheese) in the heated skillet.
- Let brown for 1 minute, then carefully flip the taco. Let cook another minute.
- Add shredded lettuce, onions, salsa and guacamole.
- Serve with salad topped sprinkled with toasted pepitas/pumpkin seeds.
welcome to our kitchen! come and stay awhile.
We're Meg and Pegs of the Curry Girls Kitchen, a mother-daughter health coach duo here to help YOU revamp your life from OK… to fabulously delicious! We invite all your senses to play with us.