Persimmon Date Loaf
Each fall we look forward to making our Persimmon Date Loaf. We think persimmons are something special! Their bright orange color means they are rich in powerful antioxidants, fiber, vitamins and minerals that boost our immunity, digestion, and heart health. Loaded with carotenoids and flavonoids persimmons also help reduce one’s risk for diabetes. They are such a versatile fruit! Great to add in to smoothies, baked goods, puddings, salads or eaten raw. They are a wonderful relatively “new” food we so enjoy.
I never grew up eating persimmons. My mom didn’t eat them, therefore our family didn’t. We were introduced to persimmons at our farmers market. Once we tasted them, we were thrilled by their sweetness and inspired by our farmers who grew them. The farmers would share how we could add them into our recipes. Besides our Persimmon Date Loaf other favorite persimmon recipes include: Persimmon Pumpkin Pie Spiced Smoothie. Another favorite recipe are our persimmon waffles.
Watch our recipe video on making this oh so yummy Persimmon Date Loaf.
One of the favorite gifts we would receive each year from one of our persimmon farmers were a specially dried persimmon. We never tasted a dried fruit like it before. It’s a fun fact how they hang dry the persimmon and massage them daily. It was a very special treat to get these dried persimmons each year. So in return we made our farmers this recipe and gave them as gifts during the holidays. It’s great because the batter makes enough for 3 mini loaves.
Persimmon Date Loaf Ingredients:
- 1 C Persimmon Pulp (Hachiya must be fully ripe and soft to use. See variations below)
- 1 stick unsalted butter or 1/2 C alternative butter or coconut spread
- ½ C date paste
- ¾ C Coconut sugar
- 1-2 eggs ( if using OJ only use 1 egg)
- ¼ C orange juice (OJ added makes for a very moist less dense bread and is optional to add)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract or vanilla powder
- 1 tsp. orange extract or 2 Tbsp. Orange zest
- 1 ½ C gluten free baking flour
- ½ C Coconut flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. fresh ground nutmeg (use a microplane)
- ¼ tsp. ground cloves
- ¾ C chopped pecans
- 6-8 chopped pitted dates
- 1 bread loaf pan or 3 mini loaf pans
Fruit Variations: instead of 1 C persimmon pulp try using 1 C applesauce, 1 C pumpkin, or 1 ¼ C ripe banana (omit the OJ if using banana)
Persimmon Date Loaf Glaze Ingredients:
- 2 Tbsp.. maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp. melted coconut oil or butter
- Whisk both syrup and oil together. It will thicken as they are combined.
- Then brush glaze over the top of bread before putting into the oven.
Persimmon Date Loaf Method:
- Preheat oven 350 degrees
- In a stand mixer using the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar. ( Or stir using a spoon until butter and sugar are creamy)
- Add 1 egg, orange juice, and extracts.
- Next add persimmon pulp and date paste. Blend well.
- Use the Stir setting on stand mixer to gradually add in flours + spices
- Last stir in chopped dates and pecans.
- Grease bread loaf pans with melted coconut oil.
- Using a large spoon to scoop batter into loaf pans. Batter will be thick and chunky. Smooth the top of the batter.
- For a lovely decorative touch add fresh persimmon slices on top.
- Spread glaze over the top.
- BAKE for 45 minutes or until a knife or toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Note: For 3 mini loaf pans (5″ x 3″) it takes about 40 minutes. For the 4″x 2″ they take about 25 minutes. Still check using a toothpick, knife or carefully tap the top of the bread making sure it no longer jiggles or the pick comes out clean. The loaves continue to cook as they cool. It’s a very moist bread.
- Serve with orange flavored cream cheese and apricot or peach jam. Or eat as is~ It’s De-lish!
- Great as a wonderful snack or treat.
welcome to our kitchen! come and stay awhile.
We're Meg and Pegs of the Curry Girls Kitchen, a mother-daughter health coach duo here to help YOU revamp your life from OK… to fabulously delicious! We invite all your senses to play with us.