Power Greens Frittata is what it sounds like ~ a nutrient rich dish that satisfies so many needs. Frittatas are great to serve for a quick breakfast, brunch, or even dinner. These baked eggs are wonderful way to add heaps of veggies into a meal too! Scroll down for the full recipe.
In this recipe, we spruce up the traditional frittata up by adding delicious homemade spinach pesto on top. Living in Colorado, it can be hard to find some of the fresh herbs in store during the winter season. Swapping basil for spinach was an easy swap for the traditional basil pesto. It created a little sweeter and mild tasting pesto flavoring to dollop on the eggs.
Watch our reel on @CurryGirlsKitchen Instagram to see how easy this is to make!
Earthbound Farm has been my saving grace. During the winter, I turn to EBF when I don’t have access to local farmers markets. Earthbound Farm greens are non-GMO, organic, better for the environment, and have a higher quality taste. One of our favorite things they do: if you open the packaging you can see they’ve printed farmer stories — it is almost as if you get to meet the farmer who grew your food at local farmers markets!
As we shared in our Gluten Free Breakfast Tortilla Hack recipe, Earthbound Farm Power Greens is a mix of baby spinach, red and green chard, and baby kale. This specialty blend is packed with vitamins and minerals – 50% of your daily vitamin A, 60% of daily vitamin C, 10% daily calcium, and 15% daily iron.
In addition, Earthbound Farm’s 5 ounce box of spinach is filled with 160% of your daily Vitamin A needs. Vitamin A protects your eyes from age-related decline, supports a strong immune system, bone health, and reduces risk to acne.
Now that you know why you should enjoy this nutrient packed breakfast… Here’s how to make it! And when you do – don’t forget to tag @CurryGirlsKitchen #CurryGirlsKitchen and @EarthboundFarm #EarthboundFarm on social media ◡̈
Power Greens Frittata Ingredients:
4 Eggs, scrambled
¼ Cup yellow onion, diced
½ Cup Earthbound Farm Vegetables Medley (we only used the cauliflower and broccoli florets, and cut them into smaller pieces)
¼ Cup mushrooms mix, chopped (we used shiitake and king oyster mushrooms)
¼ Cup kalamata olives, pitted and sliced
1 handful Earthbound Farm Power Greens
4-5 Tbsp. Spinach Pesto (ingredients below)
¼ Cup Pecorino Romano cheese, grated
½ Avocado, sliced for topping
Salt and Pepper to taste
Red chili pepper flakes
2 Tbsp. olive oil
Spinach Pesto Ingredients:
1 ½ Cup Earthbound Farm spinach
¼ Cup cilantro, rough chopped (stems included is fine)
½ Cup pine nuts
3 Garlic cloves, smashed
½ Cup Pecorino Romano cheese, grated
1/3 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1. Prepare pesto: in a food processor add spinach and cilantro and pulse together. Next, add pine nuts and garlic and pulse until finely chopped. Lastly, add grated cheese and olive oil and pulse until spread like consistency. Then set aside pesto.
2. Preheat skillet on medium heat.
3. In a medium sized bowl, mix eggs and sea salt well.
4. In skillet, add olive oil, onions and mushrooms and cook for 1 minute.
5. Next add chopped vegetables and cover for 1-3 minutes until vegetables are soft and tender. Keep them vibrant green.
6. Pour eggs to vegetables to cover to bottom of the pan then add a handful of greens, olives, salt, pepper, and sprinkles of grated cheese.
7. Cover and cook for 7-8 minutes, until set and desired consistency.
8. Top with remaining grated cheese, avocados, red chili flakes.
9. Lastly, slice into 4-6 wedges and serve. Salt and pepper to taste.