Roasted Acorn Squash Salad is a beautiful fall and winter salad wonderful to serve on your holiday buffet during the holidays or for a small gathering anytime of the year. The cumin vinaigrette is used for both the squash as a marinade and as the salad dressing. It is a deliciously flavorful salad enhanced by all the delicious and nutritious ingredients and cumin dressing and marinade.
Winter squash’s bright orange color comes from carotenoids which means acorn squash is high in antioxidants and phytonutrients. These health boosters help our body from free radical damage. It also supports our immunity as well as its high fiber helps with digestion. Acorn squash contains vitamin A, niacin, folate, thiamine and vitamin B-6, but it is an especially good source of vitamin C. Read here for more info on the benefits of Acorn Squash. Another bonus for this Roasted Acorn Squash Salad is both the cashews and the cumin. Cashews are a great source of plant protein rich in copper, zinc, magnesium and iron. Cashews are heart healthy lowering LDL cholesterol. Click this link to learn more. Cumin promotes digestion and is a good source of iron.
Watch our Roasted Acorn Squash Salad video below.
Roasted Acorn Squash Salad Ingredients:
- 1 Acorn squash, sliced
- 1 lb. Bag or box wild or baby arugula
- 1 Package pomegranate aerials or 1 pomegranate seeded
- 1/2 C Toasted cashews
- 1/3 C Feta, crumbled
- 1/4 C Red onion, thinly sliced, (optional)
- Cumin Vinaigrette ~ see recipe below
Roasted Acorn Squash Salad Method:
- Mix all vinaigrette/marinade together and set aside.
2. Slice acorn squash and lay flat on a parchment lined baking tray or cookie sheet.
3. Bake squash for 30 minutes, flipping half way through to baste other side with marinade/dressing.
4. On a plate or in a bowl, add the arugula and lettuce greens.
5. Top with feta, cashews, pomegranate aerials, and last the acorn squash.
6. Season with salt and fresh ground pepper. Ready to serve.
Cumin Vinaigrette and Marinade Ingredients:
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. 100% maple syrup
- 3/4 tsp. Chili Powder Blend
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. Celtic Sea Salt
- Pinch of cayenne
- 1/4 C olive oil (use some olive oil to brush over acorn squash)
Cumin Vinaigrette and Marinade Method:
- Blend all ingredients together until well mixed.
- Store in a glass jar for 2 weeks.