This Gluten Free Smoked Salmon Sandwich is an easy recipe you can make while camping or at home. Using our favorite gluten free bread (that doesn’t require refrigeration), gluten free smoked salmon, (a great source of protein the lasts a long time on the road) some hearty veggies, leafy greens, and sauces ~ we have created a gourmet sandwich you can eat anywhere!
A few weeks ago my boyfriend, Leif, and I camped in the Grand Canyon. We got permits and off-roaded to Toroweap Overlook at the Northern Rim. I filmed this quick recipe video during our three days there. I grew up camping. Pegs and Papa Curry are avid campers and would take my three sisters and almost every summer while we were growing up.
Traveling with six people is not cheap! Camping is an inexpensive vacation. Campsites are extremely cheap and if you don’t have the gear, most likely there is someone you can borrow some from. Not only does camping get you outside in nature, it is the best way to disconnect and recharge your soul. Nowadays, Leif and I love to go camping in our van named Sandy. You can follow along on our adventures at @SandyTheAdventureVan on Instagram.
If you don’t enjoy camping, that’s ok! You can still enjoy this recipe at your house, by the pool, picnicking, or at work. If you do enjoy camping, we’ve got you covered! Camp cooking can be challenging, especially if you are gluten free; but not if you are prepared! I have added some of my tips to make cooking while camping easy into the video. And next week, I will be sharing a vlog with even more camp cooking tools.
We hope you enjoy this Gluten Free Smoked Salmon recipe ~ wherever that may be! And if you would be interested in more camping related recipes, tips, and tools PLEASE COMMENT here or on Curry Girl’s Instagram & Facebook.
Scroll down for the full recipe + watch the recipe video here!
2 pieces gluten free bread (we prefer Canyon Gluten Free Bakehouse, Udi’s, Bread SRSLY, and Happy Campers)
3–4 oz. gluten free smoked salmon (make sure it is gluten free, most smoked salmon used soy sauce. If you cannot find any, you can always use canned wild salmon)
4–5 slices Persian or hothouse cucumber
2–3 slices Radish (we used breakfast radish)
1 tablespoon tzatziki or mayonnaise
1 tablespoon spicy brown or Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon pesto sauce
1/2 small avocado, sliced and then mashed
Small handful of heirloom cherry tomatoes, halved
Handful of arugula mixed with slivered radicchio
- Prepare all ingredients. If you are a vegetarian, you can easily leave out the smoked salmon or add one to two tablespoons of your favorite hummus instead. If you are dairy free, you can omit the tzatziki and pesto (it will still taste delicious) or find dairy free options!
- On the two slices of bread, spread the sauces and avocado. I prefer to mash the avocado on one slice and then top with mustard. And then on the other slice I add the tzatziki then pesto on top of it. I forgot to add the avocado in the recipe video, and it still came out delicious ☺
- Next I layer the radish, cucumber and tomato slices on top of the sauce.
- Last I put the piece of smoked salmon on one slice and the arugula mix on the other.
- Place on loaded sliced of bread on top of the other, cut the sandwich in half, and enjoy!