Pavlova, a WOW dessert for any special occasion! Today, so many people have food allergies or food related conditions, Pavlova is wonderful dessert to serve, because it fits so many people’s needs and preferences! It’s grain-free, gluten free, dairy free, vegetarian and Paleo. Our kind of treat that everyone can eat! Ohana!
Tim’s mom, Betty Ann would make Pavlova for a special holiday dessert. Back then it was the perfect dessert because it was light, airy, not too sweet or too filling after a large celebratory meal. It’s also great anytime of the year because the filling is a whipped cream that can be made dairy free with coconut whipped cream. Over the whipped cream, layer with seasonal fruit. Any berries, peaches, persimmons, pomegranate aerials, kiwi, mango…really most any fruit will work, no matter what the season! Let your creative juices flow! Your taste buds will love it’s deliciousness!
To get a little fancy you can use lemon curd instead of the whipped cream, or both for the filling. Make a strawberry coulis sauce like Gma Betty and pour it over the fruit when serving. The recipe is below. Then dollop with more fresh whipping cream! It’s only “air” Gpa would say! Oh the delight everyone will have enjoying Pavlova! It is truly a show stopper and wonderful to serve for special celebrations or during holidays… especially for Springtime and Passover or Easter!
We hope you enjoy this variation of Gma Betty’s Pavlova recipe! If you like an all fruit desert, try making Peg’s seasonal Strawberry Pie! There’s also a grain-free crust version too and a seasonal lemon berry bars!
We’d love to hear from you! Please comment below if you make the Pavlova.
💛 Megs & PegsPrint
- 4 egg whites
- 1 1/4 cup raw or superfine cane sugar or 3/4 cup Monkfruit
- 2 tsp. arrowroot or corn starch
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. lemon extract
- Whip egg whites until stiff but still look wet.
- Whisk 1-2 Tbsp. of sugar at a time until all 1-1/4 cups are incorporated.
- Fold in arrowroot, vanilla, lemon extracts and lemon juice
- Place meringue onto a parchment lined large jelly roll pan
- Shape into a round and using a spoon make a large well in the center to hold whip cream and fruit once its cooked and cooled.
- Bake at 300-degrees for 1-hour
- Let cool completely.
- Make fresh or use a dairy free whipping cream or lemon curd for filling.
- Serve topped with cut fresh seasonal fruit
- Top with strawberry coulis (optional)
Variation: Use your egg yolks to make a lemon curd instead of using whip cream in the center, use it as a topper.
Strawberry Coulis Ingredients:
2 cups fresh strawberries, cleaned, hulled and pureed
1/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
Splash of lemon juice or lemon rind
Strawberry Coulis Method:
- In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, add strawberries and powdered sugar
- Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring until thickened.
- Allow to cool before using to top Pavlova
Note: You can also use frozen strawberries, defrost first
Variation: use homemade Strawberry Jam!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour