Caramelized Onions and Peppers
- 2 small or 1 large Vidalia, Maui, yellow or white onions
- 1–2 of your favorite pepper: red, yellow, orange, green or purple peppers
- 1 small or part of a chili pepper (optional) for some nice heat.
- 2–3 cloves minced garlic
- Olive oil
- Sea Salt to taste
- Pre-heat a large skillet on medium heat.
- When hot turn down to medium and add enough oil to coat the pan.
- Then add all your onions, peppers and garlic.
- Cover to sweat, meaning they actually look like they are sweating, and getting softer.
- Once they look soft, remove cover as we want them to brown and caramelize.
- Simmer on low medium for 30 minutes or until browned. Stirring occasionally.
You are looking for the onions and peppers to brown on all sides.
They are now ready for you to use and add to make a yummy dish.
Onions and peppers shown here have been diced instead of sliced
Other ideas and uses for caramelized onions and peppers:
- As a topping for vegetable or meat burgers (can cook patty/burger right in pan along with onions and peppers)
- Great Fajita starter: Add cubed tofu, your favorite beans, fish, chicken or beef and Fajita seasonings.
- Use as a flavorful soup, stew or lentil Dhal starter
- Cool caramelized onions and mix in with seasonal fresh melons such as cantaloupe, crenshaw, casaba, or honeydew melons. Top with crumbled feta cheese and pine nuts YUM!!!
- Add some diced veggies such as squashes and serve over your favorite grain
- Add to wraps, over egg dishes, great as a topping for your appetizers’
Be creative! Let your imagination rock and roll.
Watch our latest step-by-step YouTube video on how to prepare caramelized onions and peppers~
Peppers are not in season all year, so 3 onions will work too OR there is a great product called “Mediterranean Organics” Red Yellow Roasted Peppers found in the super markets