Cauliflower “Fried Rice” is a wonderful side dish or meal all by itself! Loaded with lots of vegetables and a protein rich egg. In just a few minutes, Meg’s shows you how easy it is make riced cauliflower in a food processor. To make it even more convenient, grocery stores now carry ready made riced cauliflower in both fresh produce and frozen sections. This easy to prepare dish is great served with our Farmers Market Stir Fry, with Seared Salmon, or Teriyaki chicken.
Cauliflower comes in a variety of colors, sizes and shapes. There are white, orange, and purple traditional cauliflowers, as well as Romanesco which is a part of the cauliflower family, is a prehistoric looking variety ( as shown below) as is it’s other name Broccoflower. Any of these beautiful cauliflowers can be used in this wonderful dish!
Cauliflower is a cruciferous vegetable that is naturally high in fiber and B-vitamins. It provides antioxidants and phytonutrients that can protect against cancer. It also contains fiber to enhance weight loss and digestion, choline that is essential for learning and memory, and many other important nutrients. More califlower info here.
Watch just how easy Cauliflower “Fried Rice” is to make in our recipe video.Print
- 1 medium head cauliflower, rinsed
- 1–3 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 eggs
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 small onion, diced fine
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup frozen peas, or edamame
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup carrots, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 scallions, diced, whites and greens separated
- 1 – 2 tbsp butter, or butter alternative
- Tamari/Wheat-Free soy sauce, or more to taste
- Remove the core and let the cauliflower dry completely.
- Coarsely chop cauliflower into florets. Place florets in a food processor and pulse until the cauliflower is in small little pieces and has the texture of rice or couscous – make sure you don’t over process or it will get mushy! No processor, no worries. Simply finely mince the florets to achieve the same texture.
- Combine eggs in a small bowl and beat with a fork. Season with salt.
- Heat a large sauté pan or wok over medium heat and add some sesame oil.
- Add the eggs and cook, turning a few times until set. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add the sesame oil and sauté onions, scallion whites, peas or edamame, carrots and garlic for about 3 to 4 minutes, or until they start to brown. Raise the heat to medium-high.
- Add the cauliflower “rice” to the sauté pan along with butter. Mix and cook approximately 5 to 6 minutes, stirring semi-frequently, until the cauliflower is slightly crispy on the outside but tender on the inside.
- Return the cooked egg into the pan with rice and vegetables and mix in with the rice mixture.
- Remove from heat and mix in scallion greens. Top with soy sauce.
Note: With some modifications this recipe can be made CLEAN and Vegan. Omit the eggs and butter. It’s still very tasty!