Easy Grain Free Pie Crust that’s deliciously gluten free, vegan, dairy free, and Paleo. Perfect for all us pie lovers!
In an effort to eat less sugar and highly processed foods, we wanted to create a grain free pie crust, because we LOVE pie! Who knew it would turn out this delicious and simple to make! It’s moist enough to roll out, press it, shape it, even make lattice decorations with the dough. It’s so easy to work with as is our regular gluten free pie crust. The only difference is there isn’t any highly processed grain flours in this recipe. Another added bonus is that it’s actually a “better for you” guilt- free crust that you feel good about eating~ even for breakfast! Yup. Breakfast pie anyone? Minimal sugar and maximum benefit. We topped our blueberry pie this morning with fresh made almond milk yogurt and wow was it a treat! Because of the small amount of coconut sugar, it’s even Clean. Can you tell how excited we are. It’s that good and good for you.
Fill this Easy Grain Free Pie Crust with your favorite fruit or filling and bake it like you would any pie, however it takes half the time to cook. Be on the look out for our new pie filling we’ve got for you. Here are some of our favorite pie fillings to tantalize your sweet taste buds~ Chocolate pie, Lemon pie, coconut cream, strawberries. What a wonderful treat to feel good about eating and sharing this Grain Free Pie Crust filled with so many options for your family and friends. We can’t wait to hear what you think. Comment below and let us know what fillings you’ll use to create your amazingly delicious grain free pie.
Curious about using guar gum and or xanthan gum in your gluten free baking? Click HERE to learn more from our friends at Bob’s Red Mill.
Scroll down for our full recipe and watch our video here.
Ingredients for 1 Grain Free Pie Crust:
3/4 C almond meal or hazelnut meal
1/4 C coconut flour
1 Tbsp. coconut sugar
2 Tbsp. fresh ground flax seeds
1/4– 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1–2 Tbsp. iced orange juice or water ( start with 1 Tbsp.)
Coconut and or Cassava flour for rolling out pie crust
Option: add 1/4 tsp vanilla powder
Method for making Grain Free Pie Crust
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a food processor or in a bowl using a fork to blend.
- Pulsing the food processor, add small chunks of the coconut spread at a time, not all at once.
- Continue pulsing on and off.
- Once it begins to look like “peas” or dough crumbles, slowly add the iced orange juice or water 1 Tbsp. at a time.
- The dough will collect and form into a nice ball. DO NOT OVER MIX. ONLY PULSE.
- Wrap dough ball in parchment paper and then place in a plastic sip lock bag.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes or overnight.
- Remove pie crust from the refrigerator and place the ball of dough onto a Silpat, ( as seen in our recipe video), or a well-floured board.
- If rolling the dough out, make sure both your rolling pin and your board is well floured.
- You can also partially roll out the dough and then press the dough into the pie plate or muffin tins. Either way works well.
- Fill your pie crust with berries or other fillings.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30-35 minutes.
- Let cool completely before cutting, even refrigerate.
- Refrigerate after serving.