Fathers Day is almost here and Poppa Tim loves his crab cakes! When we dine out we can never order them because of the breadcrumbs used in most recipes.Print
1/4 C red onion, diced
1/4 C yellow pepper, remove seeds and dice
1/4 C red pepper, remove seeds and dice
1 C coconut milk, full fat ,or whipping cream or Half and Half
1/2 tsp jalapeno minced or 1/4 tsp dried chili peppers
1/2 Tbl. minced Italian or curly parsley
1 Tbl. finely chopped chives (use the green part)
1–2 sprigs fresh thyme, removing the leaves, about 1 tsp.
1/8 tsp. cayenne (optional)
1/2 + 1/2 C breadcrumbs* (used 3 slices Udi’s bread) 1/2 C goes into the crab cake & half for the coating
1/2 + 1/2 C almond meal half in the crab cake and half for coating the cake
1 egg beaten
1 pound crab meat
Salt & pepper to taste
Ghee, Butter or Coconut Oil * used coconut
*Note: If Paleo, use a Paleo nut or coconut flour blend.
- Heat coconut oil in skillet. Add diced onions and peppers and sauté until translucent. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Simmer coconut milk with jalapeno over medium heat until reduced by half.
Remove from heat, and set aside to cool.
- Pour cooled cream into onion/pepper mixture. Stir in cayenne, chives, parsley, thyme, ½ C breadcrumbs, ½ C almond meal, salt and pepper to taste. Add beaten egg and crabmeat, and mix until all ingredients are thoroughly incorporated.
- Combine remaining crumbs and almond meal onto a plate. Shape crab into approx. 12-15 cakes. Coat each cake on both sides and chill for 1- 2 hours.
- Just before serving, sauté crab cakes in coconut oil for about. 4 minutes on each side, until nice and browned. Remove to paper towel.
- To serve, using a ladle, pour a small amount of red pepper sauce around each plate. Place 2 crab cakes and drizzle a little more sauce. Top with feta & green onion
Red Pepper Sauce
5 Tbl. butter or alternative butter sticks or Melt
½ red onion diced
½ sweet red pepper, diced
2 cloves garlic mashed
2 sprigs thyme, leaves removed
1 Cup Culinary Coconut Milk by So Delicious, whipping cream or Half and Half
½ C white wine (or a chicken or fish stock)
Juice of ½ lemon (about 1/4 C)
Salt & pepper to taste
Heat butter until melted. Add onions pepper, garlic, & thyme. Cook until tender. Deglaze pan with white wine and reduce until thick. Add cream, bring to a boil and puree in blender until smooth. Season to taste with salt, pepper and lemon juice.