My love for Shishito Peppers began a few years ago… I was fortunate enough to cook on a yoga retreat in Spain September of 2014. 10 days before the retreat started, I flew to San Sebastian to explore the Basque region. I was quickly introduced and became consumed by the pintxo culture! For those who have never traveled alone before, it can be quite intimidating… I was staying with a local, Emmy, in her AirBnb located in the historical city center. Emmy was THE best! She gave me her top lists of places to eat and visit. Each place had its own charm and different specialties; however, the main consistencies of all were blistered shishito peppers – and not just one, but plates of them.
Blistered Shishito Peppers
1 lb shishito peppers
4 tbsp olive oil, reserve half
Thick or coarse sea salt
– Heat cast iron skillet or grill
– Rinse and dry shishito peppers. Coat in half the olive oil.
– Throw into pan, and cook for about 5-10 minutes uncovered. Stir occacsionally and flip peppers to blister evenly.
– If using grill, cook for about 2-3 minutes one side, then flip and cook the same on the other.
– Place shishito peppers onto serving dish. Drizzel peppers with remaining olive oil and sprinkle coarse salt on top. Enjoy immediately!
*Note: if you want to speed up the process – while shishitos are cooking in skillet, smash them with the bottom of another pot. Speeds the process up by a few minutes.
** Watch recipe video HERE! **