Grilled Skewers are the perfect summer recipe for all your fun celebrations. Father’s Day, graduations, BBQ’s or just an impromptu summer gathering of friends and family. Peg’s grilled skewers or kebobs, are a dream for the home entertainer!
Easy to prep and make ahead, skewers are wonderful for either a small gathering or a crowd! They will delight everyone’s taste buds and food preferences! Yay! For the meat eaters we love using lamb (as seen in the photos) or a filet of tender grass-fed beef, chicken thighs, because the fat content keeps them juicy, or shrimp and scallops.
For the vegetarians or plant-based vegans, choose hearty vegetables such as: shiitake or king oyster mushrooms, different varieties of summer squash, zucchini, think sliced cauliflower, heirloom baby tomatoes even eggplant chunks to the mix!
Peg’s Mediterranean marinade adds an herbaceous flavor to the meat and veggies! Simply marinate the meat for 4-6 hours as well as the veggies, and you’ll have an easy breezy feast to serve your Family.
As we all have heard for years the Mediterranean Diet is the most widely revered and researched diet on our planet. Researches and influential hospitals have said it’s the healthiest way to eat and continues to help people live longer! For Peg’s she’s all about ways to prevent disease and live longer… happily and healthy!
Because you will use small amounts of animal proteins and have plenty of seasonal vegetables, this makes Grilled Skewers a Peg’s Gold Star recipe! Gold stars because it has so many beneficial foods, incorporates a variety of summer’s bountiful vegetables, uses fresh herbs AND is easy to make for all types of people’s food preferences! AND Eating a Mediterranean Diet can help you live a longer and healthier life, so says the research! It’s a win win recipe making it 5 stars!
IF there’s fish lovers in your crowd, you can always make our Mediterranean Whitefish which is always a show stopper too!
We can’t wait for you to make these delicious Mediterranean Grilled Skewers!
When you make our Grilled Skewers, please post and share a photo with us. And let us know how they turned out by commenting below. We love hearing from you how you made them and what worked for you! Thank you!
Here’s to a great Summer!
With Love and blessings,
Pegs and Megs
1–2 lbs. stew meat of choice: chicken, beef or lamb (we love lamb)
Fish is another option: shrimp or scallops would be great too!
2–3 medium zucchini (sliced into thick chunks)
1 large red onion peeled and layers separated
Shitake or Cremini Mushrooms left whole depending on size or halved)
Other vegetable options: eggplant chunks, cauliflower chunks,
Salt and pepper to taste
Blend all ingredients together
2 sprigs fresh rosemary or 1 tsp dried
2 sprigs fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried
2 sprigs fresh oregano or 1 tsp. dried
3 cloves fresh garlic or shallot, minced
1/4–1/2 cup red wine
2–3 Tbsp. Balsamic vinegar ( we love Napa Valley Reserves, its thick and great!)
1/4 C. olive oil (Jovial)
- Cube your meat or use stew meat and set aside. (if using grass-fed stew meat marinate longer, a filet takes less time) Also make them large enough so they won’t fall off skwere or into the grill… I’ve done it, oy…
- Prep all your vegetables and par cook them. I like to sauté them for a couple minutes covered and flipped in a skillet. Giving them a head start, as the meat won’t take long.
- Make marinade. Depending on how many ingredients you use, you may need to double or triple the marinade. Also you can keep the vegetable marinade for another use or heat it and serve as an Au Jus sauce to pour over the skewers.
- Marinade all ingredients for 4-6 hours
- Par cook the veggies only. Cook them for 2 minutes covered on each side.
- Heat the grill.
- Once hot, clean the grill. PLEASE LINK to OURS not EVOX https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uslHw_ZVCc
- Get thick skewers and soak them in water for about 30 minutes.
- Start adding on the onion, meat, veggie, mushroom and repeat. Make sure each end has a sturdy veggie or meat to keep everyone in their place.
- Grill them on medium high for about 5 a side until they look tender and done. We prefer our beef and lamb to be rare. Chicken is to be cooked through. HOWEVER, I purposefully want you to keep the chicken moist and juicy. Grill the chicken covered for 4 minutes a side, remove and keep them covered with tin foil. They will continue to cook while they sit and collect it’s juices, making them perfect, tender and juicy! Drooling ☺
- Serve them with a salad, tabbouleh, mashed potatoes or parsnip mashers.
- We hope you Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes