Cole slaw is the perfect side dish for any BBQ or picnic! Make Cole Slaw a day or two ahead, as it gets better with age. Cabbages are superfoods! We’ve found kids love this recipe and learn to enjoy eating cabbage!
Cabbage are Cruciferous vegetables well-known for their anti cancer, anti aging properties. They are super antioxidants, anti-inflammatory food rich in vitamins C and K, especially red cabbages! Cabbage’s fiber helps with digestion, elimination, as well as providing important bacteria friendly fuel for our gut health. Check out more great information in this article about why cabbages are powerful superfoods to be added into your diet.
Cabbages give you gas or bloating? Yes, sadly not everyone can eat cabbage without feeling gassy or bloated. Pegs completely relates! First try eating cabbages cooked or raw in small amounts to build up your tolerance as well as try blanching cabbage first so the raw roughage becomes easier for your body to digest. Consistently eating a new food or introducing it in smaller quantities, helps with digestion. And one final thought is that you may also need to check on your over all gut health. If you’re experiencing bloating and gas a lot, you may need to check for leaky gut or SIBO. If you have any questions please reach out. We’d love to help!
Not into cabbage? Try our Cauliflower “Mock” Potato Salad ~another yummy side dish!
Cole Slaw Ingredients:
- 1/2 green cabbage shredded
- 1/4 head red cabbage shredded
- 2 carrots grated
- 1/4–1/2 small onion, grated or finely diced
- 1 heaping Tbsp. Wildwood Garlic Aioli, Follow Your Heart’s Veganese, or Tessemae’s Ranch Dressing
- 1/2 tsp. celery seeds
- A few shakes Seasoned Rice Wine Vinegar to wet the cabbage. Adjust after, may need more.
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Shakes of Dulse flakes (optional) Just because..
- Shred cabbages.
- Grate carrots and red onion ( Note: we use grater attachment in mini food processor)
- Combine all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Mix well using spoon or hands.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour or best over night.
- Keeps for 7-10 days. Gets better with age! NOTE: for larger gathering use the full head of cabbage and double all ingredients.
- Great added inside your chicken or veggie wraps!
- Serve as a side with burgers, sandwiches, poached salmon or for any BBQ gathering.
- Cant make the cabbage ahead? Use this method to pre-soften the cabbages by covering cabbage shreds with water and 1 Tbsp. salt. and let soak overnight.