Baking is the perfect lazy Sunday activity!
For the past few weeks I had been wanting to make these Jalapeno-Cheddar Cheese Biscuits I saw in Gluten-Free Baking with The Culinary Institue of America cookbook. I planned to bake them this past Saturday, but the weather was too nice outside so I decided to take advantage of it and surf. That is when I realized that SUNDAY truly is the perfect baking day
My mission to make the Jalapeno-Cheddar Biscuits, quickly turned into a multiple bread testing adventure… After I had begun cooking I realized I didn’t have cheddar cheese. Did that stop me? No way jose! I improvised by using the little bit of goat-mozzerella cheese I had in the fridge.
Only being able to make a small batch of the biscuits, I decided to get creative with the rest of the dough. So I made cinnamon currant and chocolate chip bread, and then came up with the most delectably divine Lemon-Basil bread I am sharing with you here! It was by far my favorite out of the three I made. It was soft and chewy like a sweet bread, but the lack of sugar with basil and lemon made it a bit more savory… I don’t know how else to describe it besides simply lovely – so you just need to bake it to see for yourself!
- Flour Blend #5
- 3 1/2 cups White rice flour
- 1 1/2 cups Tapioca starch
- 3 1/2 cups Soy flour
- 1 cup Whey powder (this is doubled so you will have enough for the recipe)
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F5 3/4 cups Flour Blend #5
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/3 cup Coconut Sugar
- 3 tablespoons Guar gum
- 2 tablespoons Instant yeast
- 2–3 tablespoons Lemon extract
- 1 lemon, zest
- 1 small bunch of basil leaves, slivered and chopped
- 3 1/2 cups Water
- 2 Eggs
- 3/4 cup (6oz.) Butter, melted
- Thoroughly combine flour blend, salt, sugar, and guar gum. Blend in yeast.
- Mix together water, eggs, and butter, then add to the dry mixture. Mix using a paddle for 6 minutes on low speed.
- With a spatula, mix in lemon extract, basil, and lemon zest.
- Scoop mixture into greased 8” x 4½“ x 2¾” loaves or muffin tins. Fill up 3/4 of the way. Will make approximately 3 leaves and 4 batches of muffins.
- Bake in preheated 350°F oven. Bake muffins for 15 minutes, breads for 45-60 minutes.
- At 25 minutes, I checked the breads and then painted the top with just a little bit of a egg scrambled to make the top of the bread look shiny and professional
- The product should be firm at the center with an internal temperature of 200°F. If the bread is not correct, bake for 5 more minutes. If you do not have a baking thermometer, stick a knife into the center of bread to see if it comes out sticky/with dough on it.
- Remove from oven, rest in pan for 5 minutes, then unmold onto cooling racks.
It might look like a lot of work, but it is SO worth it!!! YUM YUM YUMM!!!!!
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 70