Indulge in the rich and flavorful world of beef short ribs, where every bite promises a symphony of taste and tenderness. These meaty marvels, cut from the beef plate, boast a perfect balance of meat and marbling, ensuring a melt-in-your-mouth experience.
What Makes Beef Short Ribs Irresistible:
Beef short ribs are renowned for their incredible taste and versatility. Whether slow-cooked to perfection, grilled to smoky perfection, or braised for a comforting meal, these ribs hold a culinary charm that captivates every palate.Print
- 2 tablespoons avocado or olive oil
- 5 pounds bone-in short ribs, at least 1 1/2 inches thick
- Kosher or Celtic salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1–2 large heads garlic, halved crosswise
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 celery stalks (about 1 cup, chopped)
- 2–4 medium carrots, 1 cup about…chopped
- 8–10 whole medium shiitake mushrooms
- 3–5 tablespoons tomato paste, half a small jar
- 1 cup dry red wine (about half a bottle) USED a PINOT NOIR
- 1–2 cups beef stock PACIFIC’S or enough to submerge the beef ribs
- 2 sprigs thyme, 1 rosemary, 1 BAY LEAF
- 1 cup parsley, coarsely chopped FOR GARNISH BEFORE SERVING
- Heat oven to 275 degrees. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Season short ribs on all sides with salt and pepper. Working in batches, sear short ribs on all sides until deeply and evenly browned, about 6 per batch. Brown ALL sides. Then Transfer browned short ribs to a large bowl and continue with remaining ribs. Save the juice, you’ll add it bck into pot with the ribs.
- Feel free to pour off some of the fat, I left it all…, BUT leave the good browned bits. Reduce heat to medium, and add garlic, cut side down and cook, undisturbed, until golden brown, about 1 to 2 minutes. Add onion, celery and carrots and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat and continue to cook until vegetables are softened but not yet browned, about 5 to 10 minutes. Add tomato paste and stir to coat. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until tomato paste has started to caramelize a bit on the bottom and up the edges of the pot, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add red wine and, using a wooden spoon, scrape up any browned orbits. Let this simmer 2 to 3 minutes, just to take the edge off and reduce a bit. Stir in beef stock along with fresh herbs. Using tongs, return short ribs to the pot, along with any juices that have accumulated, nestling them in there so that they are submerged (if they are just barely covered, nestle them bone side up so that all the meat is submerged, adding more beef stock to cover). Bring to a simmer, then cover and transfer to oven.
- Cook, undisturbed, until short ribs are meltingly tender and falling off the bone (you should be able to shred the meat with a fork), 3½ to 4 hours.
- Using tongs, remove the ribs from the pot, taking care not to let the bone slip out and transfer them to a large plate. (While you could serve the short ribs right out of this pot, but I prefer to strain the sauce and veggies to allow the fat to harden in fridge. So easy to remove the fat this way.
To Serve, place a short rib with veggies and sauce on a plate. Sprinkle with parsley over the top of the short ribs. Sprinkle with some flaked Maldon Sea Salt to finish.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 hours
Pair your beef short ribs with delectable sides like creamy mashed potatoes, roasted vegetables, or a tangy coleslaw. The possibilities are as endless as your culinary imagination.
Tips for the Perfect Short Ribs:
- Quality Matters: Opt for well-marbled ribs to ensure a juicy and flavorful outcome.
- Patience is Key: Whether slow-cooking or grilling, allow ample time for the ribs to reach perfection.
- Flavorful Marinades: Experiment with marinades, rubs, or sauces to elevate the taste profile of your ribs.
Frequently asked Questions
Q1: What is the best cut for beef short ribs?
A: The ideal cut for beef short ribs is from the beef plate, known for its perfect balance of meat and marbling. Look for well-marbled ribs to ensure a juicy and flavorful outcome.
Q2: Can I grill beef short ribs for a barbecue?
A: Absolutely! Grilling beef short ribs adds a delightful smokiness. Fire up the grill, cook to perfection, and enjoy the charred exterior paired with a juicy, succulent interior.
Q3: How long should I slow-cook beef short ribs for optimal tenderness?
A: Patience is key for tender short ribs. Slow-cook them to perfection, allowing ample time for the meat to tenderize. Depending on the method, it can take several hours for that fall-apart-in-your-mouth experience.
Why We Love Beef Short Ribs:
Beyond their culinary appeal, beef short ribs are a celebration of communal dining. From family gatherings to intimate dinners, these ribs bring people together over a shared love for good food.
Beef short ribs offer a culinary journey where taste and tenderness converge. Whether you’re a grill master, slow-cooking enthusiast, or braising wizard, these ribs invite you to create a symphony of flavors that will have everyone asking for seconds. Elevate your dining experience with the unbeatable allure of beef short ribs.
Was a hit!