Need a delicious gluten-free substitute for croutons? Sweet potato croutons are perfect for that, and our recipe is simple as can be!
Baked Paleo sweet potato croutons are crunchy, colorful, easy to make, and FULL of flavor! We use simple, gluten-free, great-for-you ingredients to make an extremely satisfying bread replacement in salads, soups, grain bowls… the list goes on. These sweet potato croutons will be the hit of your next meal, we promise! And make lots, because as they cool, they will disappear quickly!
(If you’re not into sweet potatoes, check out our equally tasty homemade crouton recipe for another quick and easy, gluten-free option!)
Making the Best Paleo Sweet Potato Croutons…
Scroll down for the full recipe or watch our recipe video here!
To make life even easier for those with limited time, we like Stahlbush Island Farms frozen cubed sweet potatoes, or, if you don’t like frozen, many grocery stores now have a prepped section in their produce aisle with fresh and ready to go veggies. However, the fresh ones will be a bit pricier.
Meg’s would like to thank her client Andrea for sharing this fun Paleo sweet potato crouton recipe with us. She initially got Meg to make these croutons in her family’s salad hoping to get her 4 small children to eat them. Success! After making them we kept seeing multiple versions everywhere… even our dear friend Danika serves them in her Model Meals delivery service.
Megs played around with a few recipes and tried different kinds of flours before ultimately settling on this one. It’s incredibly uncomplicated yet wonderfully delicious. There is minimal labor and clean up, AND due to the small crouton size, they take no time to cook. BONUS! This recipe will also help you practice your dicing skills!
Paleo Sweet Potato Croutons Recipe
- 1 medium sweet potato cubed “ ½ thick
- 2 tbsp Paleo flour (used Bob’s Red Mill), plain almond flour, or coconut flour
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil, to coat potatoes
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp Italian seasonings
- ½ tsp Celtic Sea Salt
- ¼ – ½ tsp Fresh ground pepper
- Optional addition: nutritional yeast, Vegan Parmesan, or Pecorino Romano cheese to taste.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Scrub and dry sweet potato. Dice into half-inch cubes. Place in a bowl and lightly coat with olive oil. In another bowl, mix together remaining ingredients.
- Combine flour mixture and potatoes and gently fold until completely covered. Evenly place onto parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes.Enjoy as a bite-sized snack, in salads, soups, veggies bowls, pasta dishes, and so much more!Store refrigerated in an airtight glass container for 1 week.
Have you given our sweet potato croutons a try? Let us know in the comments!
AND if you love sweet potatoes like we do, why not give some of our other recipes a try too? Like this one for quick and simple Mediterranean Sweet Potato Fries… they’re a tasty twist on a classic side you’re sure to enjoy!