Winter Vegetable Risotto
Winter Vegetable Risotto with Pesto and Wild Mushrooms
6 cups of chicken or vegetable broth
1 ½ cups Arborio rice (DO NOT RINSE) Not to be loud, but really do not rinse. The starch on this rice gives it the creaminess.
2 Tbsp butter or ghee
1 onion finely chopped
Salt and pepper
½ cup white wine (optional) If you dont use, add 1/2 cup more broth
½ cup grated Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese
2-3 cups chopped and blanched winter vegetables- sugar snaps, broccoli, cauliflower, winter squash cubed, wild mushrooms, (pictured are shiitake, lobster Enogi, chanterelles)
4-6 Tbl. basil pesto or the kale variation
1 Tbsp butter (optional) Gives added creaminess
Watch recipe video HERE
- In a 5 qt. saucepan, warm the broth over medium heat, and keep warm on simmer.
- In another larger saucepan place the butter or olive oil over medium heat
- When the oil is hot add the chopped onion and cook, stirring occasionally till soft
- Add the rice and stir till rice is coated in the oil and it starts “clicking”
- Add salt, pepper and wine (if using), stir in the wine and cook till absorbed
- Begin to add the broth about a half cup at a time, 1 large soup ladle full, stirring every couple of minutes or so, until the broth is absorbed. Continue this process of adding 1 ladle full of broth at a time, allowing each to absorb before adding the next ladle full until all the stock is absorbed, or the rice is al dente. Keep the heat on medium to medium low and stirring the rice frequently.
- The rice should be done after 20-30 minutes if you use all the broth before the rice is done, just add more as needed.
- Test the rice by biting a little between your teeth, it should be tender but still have a tiny bit of crunch, that is al dente.
- When rice is done fold in the pesto and 1 Tbl. butter until mixed thoroughly.
- Then add the blanched green vegetables and again, gently stir.
- Keep covered until ready to serve and to allow the vegetables to get hot.
- Just before serving add in the amount of Pecorino that you desire.
- Adjust the seasonings after tasting with salt and pepper.
- Serve in warmed bowls and sprinkle with minced parsley.
Watch recipe video HERE
welcome to our kitchen! come and stay awhile.
We're Meg and Pegs of the Curry Girls Kitchen, a mother-daughter health coach duo here to help YOU revamp your life from OK… to fabulously delicious! We invite all your senses to play with us.