Creamy Quinoa Porridge, the perfect breakfast for those cold mornings! The first time Meg’s made this Creamy Quinoa Porridge was when she cooked for 20 yogis in Santa Ynez, California on a yoga retreat. It was one of her first times cooking a completely vegan menu for 3 full days. We had just started our Cleansing with Food workshops in the middle of Autumn, and she wanted to make a warm breakfast porridge one of the mornings. The issue was no oats were allowed on the cleanse, so she had to think of an alternative “grain” to use.
What Meg’s love most about quinoa is how nutritionally dense it is. Quinoa is actually a seed, that is a complete protein packed with vitamins and minerals! It is a great grain or low carbohydrate alternative. Read more about quinoa nutrition facts from Dr. Axe HERE!
You can make this creamy quinoa porridge fresh or ahead of time. This is why I loved making this dish for a large crowd. Using leftover, already cooked quinoa, you can reheat it the next morning. Adding chia seeds for extra fiber, plus these sweet ingredients, you got yourself a deliciously nutritious (and quick) breakfast!
All the yogis loved this recipe so much I had to share. I hope you enjoy it as much as we all do! Keep scrolling for this whole recipe.
Creamy Quinoa Porridge:
- 2 Cups coconut milk, nut milk, or coconut water
- 1 Cup quinoa, rinsed*
- 2 Tbsp chia seed
- 1-2 Tbsp honey (we love raw sage honey from our local farmers)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp cinnamon, plus garnish
- Seasonal fresh fruit: blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, apples, sliced bananas, peaches, pears, etc.
- Dried fruit: raisins, zante currants, cranberries, mulberries, etc.
- Add all ingredients except honey to a medium or small pot.*
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Add honey and stir occasionally.
- Let rest covered for 5-10 minutes.
*NOTE: you can also make this with already cooked quinoa. Take 1 cup of cooked quinoa and reheat in a small pot with 1-cup nut milk, chia seeds, vanilla, and cinnamon. Cook on medium low heat for 5 minutes. Add honey and stir together for another 2-3 minutes. Top with desired ingredients and enjoy!