Dark Chocolate Mocha Chia Pudding
Hey guys, my name is Dana – nice to meet you all! I’m the blogger and Health & Nutrition Coach over at Real Food with Dana, and I’m beyond excited to be guest blogging on Curry Girls Kitchen today! I met Peggy on the Virginia Peanut Farm tour last fall, and we instantly clicked (literally. Sorry, bad social media pun) with our love for making gluten and dairy-free recipes. I’d like to think it was my bubbly personality and awesome(-ly sarcastic) sense of humor, you know. But either way, we bonded over great food, great times, and I’m so glad I’m here now! Today I’m sharing a recipe for Dark Chocolate Mocha Chia Pudding – hope you enjoy, and come hang out with me on Real Food with Dana!
There is a stupid (-ly awesome) amount of chocolate in this recipe.
Anyone else absolutely LOVE those chocolate pudding cups growing up? No shame, it’s totally fine. But looking back now…who KNOWS what kinds of ingredients are in those things. Let me tell you, it ain’t chia seeds or some good quality gelatin to make those babies. Chemical city, is what I’m guessing.
But even still, we all crave our childhood foods once in awhile, no matter how not-so-great they may be for us. For my mom, it’s hot dogs and her mom’s American Lasagna (separately, of course). She and her sister occasionally freak out over ho-ho’s and those other weird little pastry cakes that wouldn’t budge an inch if you didn’t touch them for about 100 years. They’d probably still taste the same too, due to all the crazy preservatives in there!!
Solution: we make healthier, even more delicious, grown-up versions of our favorite childhood treats. In my case: that tiny little chocolate pudding gets upgraded to a version with high-quality dark chocolate (always the best), espresso, and a hit of omega 3’s from the chia seeds! Oh, and to make this Dark Chocolate Mocha Chia Pudding even more decadent, we’re adding Coconut Whipped Cream and some dark chocolate shavings on top. Because everything’s better with more chocolate. Right??Print
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 4oz chopped dark chocolate
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder (optional *see note)
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1 Tbsp instant espresso powder
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Small pinch (about 1/4 tsp) sea salt
- Coconut whipped cream
- Dark chocolate shavings
- Optional: toasted coconut, for serving
- Melt the dark chocolate over a double boiler on the stove (or in the microwave) until no chocolate pieces are left. Stir in the espresso powder.
- Combine the chia seeds, almond milk, coconut milk, vanilla, cocoa powder (if using) and maple syrup in a large jar, add in the melted chocolate mixture, and shake vigorously until combined. Refrigerate for at least an hour or two, or until it resembles a pudding texture. You can also leave it overnight. Adjust the liquid if you want the pudding more firm or smooth.
- Serve with coconut whipped cream and extra chocolate shavings!
*Note: If you like extra dark chocolate, add in the 2 Tbsp cocoa powder.
More about Dana: Dana Monsees is the fun-sized founder of Real Food with Dana, a nutrition and lifestyle blog designed to help you thrive with real food and a paleo lifestyle, one delicious meal at a time! Dana’s personal health journey as an athlete with celiac disease, thyroid problems and adrenal fatigue sparked her passion for helping others through nutrition. She currently works as a Health & Nutrition Coach, Swim Coach, and is a soon-to-be Nutritionist.