Baked Manicotti (Gluten Free)
Watch recipe video HERE
In a medium bowl add Watch recipe video HERE
1 box Jovial gluten free manicotti
1 15 oz Container of ricotta OR 2 containers of Kite Hill Vegan Ricotta
1 C Mozzarella cheese, grated
1/2 C Pecorino Romano grated cheese
4 C Spinach (1 medium box triple washed)
1 Heaping cup shiitake mushrooms, diced ( 4 medium ones)
2–3 cloves fresh garlic minced (about 2 tsp)
1/4 C kale & basil pesto
1/4 C Pecorino Romano
1/4 – 1/2 tsp. Celtic Sea Salt
Favorite jarred marinara sauce
9 x 13 baking dish
Pastry bag or quart size plastic baggie
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a pre-heated skillet add 2 Tbl. olive oil and sauté diced mushrooms. Once they are nice and browned, add the minced garlic. Sauté garlic for 1-2 minutes. Remove mushrooms and garlic from skillet and set aside.
- Add 1 Tbl. olive oil to pan, if it’s dry. You just need a smidgen of oil for spinach.
- Add spinach to pre-heated skillet and cover for 2 minutes. Once spinach has wilted, remove from pan in a small colander, and allow to drain. Once drained, chop the spinach and set aside.
- Have mozzarella and Parmesan cheese ready.
- Bring a large stockpot of water to a boil with a teaspoon of salt. Once boiled, add the manicotti noodles into boiling water. Once the water returns to a gentle boil let pasta simmer for exactly 4 minutes uncovered.
- Using slotted spoon, remove pasta from water and lightly rinse with cool water. Carefully set noodles into dish and set aside. It’s OK if they are wet. If they get sticky run them back under water, holding them carefully so they dont tear.
- In a medium bowl add the containers of ricotta, chopped spinach, sautéed mushrooms, egg, ½ C Parmesan cheese, pinch of salt, minced parsley and or basil or pesto. Mix thoroughly.
- Gather the ingredients together and now begin the assembly.
- To assemble manicotti:
- Add 1 C marinara sauce to cover the bottom of your baking dish
- Fill pastry bag or baggie with half of the ricotta veggie mixture.
- Begin by piping the mixture into each pasta shell, but do not over fill. Set the past on top of the marinara sauce. Repeat until all the pasta shells are filled.
- Top the pasta with rest of your marinara sauce, grated mozzarella cheese and more Parmesan cheese.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Then uncover and let bake for 5 or so minutes until cheese is melted and dish is lightly browned and bubbly.
- Serve with a fresh green garden salad, garlic bread and a lovely red wine.