The first food item I think of when I think of winter is stew. During the colder months I love how easy they are to cook and warm me up. This Mushroom White Bean and Kale Stew is just that – easy to make while nourishes the body and soul.
Waking up to 12 degree Fahrenheit weather in Colorado calls for some warm nourishment! I love the heartiness to this soup. The white Japanese sweet potato is just the right amount of sweet to counter the slightly bitter kale. Paired with creamy white beans and flavorings from the mushrooms, onions, garlic, rosemary and thyme, it’s the perfect balance. This one-pot meal is satisfying for all!
If you want to add some fat or protein, I cubed part of an avocado and added it in. You can also add cooked chicken thighs or shredded chicken for more protein. I also think it would taste amazing with some pancetta (see all the optional additions at the end of the ingredients).
4 cups non-chicken or veggie broth
15 oz. can white beans, like Navy or Cannellini, drained and rinsed
1 medium/small Japanese white sweet potato, cut into bite-sized cubes
2 cups purple kale, de-stemmed and rough chopped
5-6 shiitake mushrooms, diced
4-5 small shiitake mushrooms, whole
½ yellow onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, diced
1 celery stock, diced
1 tsp Italian seasoning
½ tsp cumin
1 sprig fresh rosemary
1 sprig fresh thyme
1 tsp ground pepper
1 tsp Celtic sea salt
3-4 Tbsp. Olive oil
Optional: ½ cup chopped pancetta. 1 cup cooked chicken thighs, chunked or cooked shredded chicken. ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, more to taste. ½ Avocado, cubed to top with. Top with freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese. Pair with your favorite gluten free sourdough.
- In a large, heavy-bottom pot or dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add all mushrooms, onions, celery, garlic (this is also where you would add in optional pancetta) and sauté for 6-8 minutes covered.
- Lower heat to med-low and add sweet potato, Italian seasoning, cumin, Celtic salt, pepper and optional chili flakes, and cook
another 5 minutes covered.
- Add the stock and beans. Bring to soup to boil, turn heat down and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add in kale and cook for another 10 minutes. This is also when you would add in optional chicken.
- Adjust salt and pepper if necessary.
- Serve in bowls with a drizzle of olive oil, optional grated Pecorino Romano or avocado and warmed gluten free sourdough bread!