Chicken Stew was inspired by the French-style stew known as “Cassoulet”. It’s a satisfying one-pot with robust favors perfect for those chilly nights to warm you right up! Use all your favorite seasonal fall and winter vegetables. When you’re looking for a filling meal to cozy on up with, this Chicken Stew will soon become a favorite go-to Autumn or Winter dish.Print
- 6 Chicken thighs
- 1 Leek diced
- 1 large onion diced
- 4–6 carrots sliced 2” thick
- 1 fennel rough chopped
- 1 garlic head separated and smashed or sliced individual cloves
- 1 fresh spring garlic tops included (when in season, totally optional)
- 6 or more Sunchokes washed, halved or quarter, (when in season, totally optional)
- 1–2 C diced or sliced mushrooms: shiitake, oyster, crimini, wood ear
- 1 C fresh or dried black-eyed peas, rinsed
- 2 tsp Italian seasonings or a fun lavender blend
- 1 tsp salt
- 4–6 Cups Chicken or vegetable stock or Imagines’ No-Chicken Stock
- 1/2–1 Cup dry white wine (optional)
- Fresh ground pepper
- Coconut or olive oil
After 1 hour of cooking add the beans and sugar snaps if using
- 1 C sugar snap peas
- 1 C green beans
Pre-heat Oven to 400 degrees
- Rinse and pat dry chicken thighs
- Salt and pepper each chicken thigh
- (NOT clean~ you can dredge in gluten free rice flour but not necessary
- Heat a large skillet or Dutch oven on medium heat
- Add chicken thighs and brown on both sides,
- Remove chicken from skillet or pot, set aside and cover
- Add 2-3 more Tbl Olive oil and add onions, carrots, garlic, leeks, fennel, sunchokes and mushrooms.
- Cover, and cook down until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper, and seasonings.
- Add black-eyed peas, chicken, stock, and wine.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Once boiled, carefully place Dutch Oven or skillet into oven.
- Reduce heat to 300-325 and continue braising for 1 ½ -2 hours.
Enjoy another great rendition of this Chicken Stew! Try our Jerusalem artichoke, (aka sunchoke), lamb stew.
NOTE: After 1 hour of cooking add the green beans and sugar snaps.
Add a nice crusty baguette to sop up all the yummy juices! Against the Grain or Udi’s are favorites!
Enjoy a good stew? Try our Jerusalem artichoke, (aka sunchoke), lamb stew for another great stew option!